A little over a mile north of Birr, in County Offaly, surrounded by a demesne of magnificent oak trees, Tullanisk, formerly known as Woodville, was built in about 1810 as the dower house for Birr Castle to the designs of Bernard Mullins. Despite its relatively modest size the house is remarkable for its regularity, with four formal fronts, and for its architectural ingenuity. The central feature of the five bay facade is part gothic, part Regency, all recessed within a giant arch. Otherwise the exterior is typically late-Georgian. The interior is partly classical and part gothic, with a wealth of innovative details and decoration, and craftsmanship and materials of the highest quality.