Glenlohane stands in the rolling countryside of north County Cork, a few miles east of the market town of Kanturk. Surrounded by mature trees, the house faces east from an elevated site and looks out over terraced lawns to the park below. Glenlohane was built in 1741 by John Sharp, of Mount Conway near the city of Cork, descended from a Quaker family of wool merchants on a considerable scale. In the early 1800s his heiress Elizabeth married John Hawkes Bolster of Egmont Lodge in nearby Churchtown, whose family had long been resident in the locality.
Glenlohane is of two stories and built of rubble stone covered over with rendering. The five bay facade has a floating pediment above the central single-bay breakfront and the recessed doorcase is surmounted by a fanlight. The southern face of the house is also of five bays, with a large bay oriel window at its eastern end, while the nineteenth century roof is steeply pitched with wide, overhanging eaves.
The partially cobbled courtyard at the rear contains stables, a coach house and a granary while the walled garden, to the northwest of the house, has a central allée of pollarded hornbeam trees. Today the house is home to John and Elizabeth’s descendants, Desmond and Melanie Sharp-Bolster, and their son Gordon, the tenth generation of his family to live at Glenlohane.