Oakfield Park

Built in 1739 for the Dean of Raphoe, one William Cotterell (who subsequently became Bishop of Ferns), Oakfield Park is situated near the market town of Raphoe in the eastern part of County Donegal. It is a restrained two-storey over basement with five bays, sitting above a beautiful landscape park with a view to the mountain of Croaghan. A yard of outbuildings is hidden behind screen walls to the left of the main façade. A church had been built in Raphoe in 550 AD by Saint Colmcille and it was further developed by his kinsman Eunan, who gives his name to the town's cathedral and is patron saint of the Diocese of Raphoe. In the 1770s, the Dean was the Very Reverend James King, who became Chaplain to the House of Commons and was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds; his son sailed with Captain Cook to Australia. The house remained in use as a Deanery until 1869 when it was sold to Thomas Butler Stoney, a Captain in the Donegal Militia, who acquired additional land in Raphoe, including the ruins of the Bishop’s Palace. The house and surrounding garden have been beautifully restored and enhanced since 1998 by Sir Gerry & Lady Robinson, who have added several follies and a large lake, and planted thousands of native Irish trees. A 4.5km narrow gauge railway line is a further attraction for visitors.

Address & Contact

Oakfield Park, Raphoe, Donegal

t: (074) 917 3068

e: gardens@oakfieldpark.com

w: https://oakfieldpark.com/

Available as a Film Location

Houses and Garden

Individual Garden Visitors

Garden Groups by Arrangement

Culture and Education

Museum

Concerts, Plays or Recitals

Admission

April - September

Every day in June, July & August. Wednesday - Sunday during the rest if the season.

11am to 6pm